THE LIVING WORD CENTER, INC.
Topic: The Power that sustain The Word of God
By Rev. Jay Werman
Text Based: Isaiah 55:8-11
Now, please allow me to breakdown the passages from Isaiah 55:8-11, so that we can have a better understanding of it:
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.”
Let’s breakdown each passage:
- “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” What does it means? I had heard of people teaching and saying things that this passage doesn’t say. In order for me to understand what the passage is saying I need to go from where the writer started his line of thought. Which in this case is verse 7 ” Let the WICKED forsake his WAY, and the UNRIGHTEOUS man his THOUGHTS: and let him return unto the Lord”. Their THOUGHTS and WAYS are way far from The Lord’s thoughts and ways, as the heavens are far or higher than the earth”. (v.9) By the way, verse 8 is one of two contrasting points.
- “For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater” (v. 10). second contrasting point, in which the comparison here is between the effect of the rain and snow upon the earth, which will produce a results; ” maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater.”
- “SO SHALL MY WORD BE that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” (v. 11) This passage expressed very clearly the power behind The Word of God. It CAN NOT return VOID. The Hebrew word used for “void” is “rêyqâm”, which mean “without effect”. In other words, God’s Word will do what God had said about it. When we pray and nothing happens don’t blame God or His Word. God had never failed, never He will. The failed is our for not believing what God had said in His Word. The Scriptures are loaded with examples of people that believed in God’s Word and they saw the results of it. The whole chapter 11 of the books of Hebrews speak of them;
“By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain.” Heb. 11:4
Many students of the Scriptures haven’t quite comprehend the power that God himself had placed on His own Word. Perhaps one of the factors that had unable many to reach this level of understanding is the lack of believe in what they read in the Scriptures. We must believe that what we are reading in The Word of God, it means exactly what it says, and not what I think it says in my own opinion or theory, which is exactly what most students do. If you take the challenge of believing what the Scriptures says, we will see the exact results that are meant to happen when faith is apply to it. Throughout this sturdy I will prove to you that God”s Word really works if you only add the most important element to it, which is your faith and trust in God. We will use only the Scriptures to prove such point, any other source is corrupted and polluted and it becomes useless in the definition and understanding of The Word of God. God doesn’t need out help to fulfill his own word, the only element that will unleash the power placed in The Word of God is faith. First let me prove this to you :
“Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.” Mark 9:23
“By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death.” Heb. 11:5
“By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house.” Heb. 11:7
“By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.” Heb. 11:8
“For he (Abraham) looked for a CITY which hath foundations, whose BUILDER and MAKER is God.” Heb. 11:10
26 times the word “faith” is used in Hebrews 11.
The Greek word used for “believeth” is pisteuō”, which is related to “pistis” that is translated “faith”. Some people had taken the biblical concept of faith way beyond the what the Scriptures says about it. Faith is NOT mental powers nor concentration nor visualization of things as many teach today. These people had written books based and twisted concepts of the Scriptures. So, what is FAITH? you may asked. In the book of Hebrew 11:1 you will find the answer;
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
“These ALL (mentioned above) DIED IN FAITH, not having RECEIVED the promises, but having SEEM them afar off, and were PERSUADED of them, and EMBRACED them, and CONFESSED that they were STRANGERS and PILGRIMS on the earth.” Heb. 11:13
Did you noticed how detached were these men from material possessions? Living, walking and even dying in FAITH. It’s not like today where all we see in churches around the planet revolved about “How much possessions you have? How much money is in your bank account? How BIG is the building that you call church? these are the kind of Christian people we are raising today. If The Lord will come today, thousands of Christians will be left behind alone with their leaders. We are not ready for the rapture of the church. Thousands of people are dying and going to hell everyday and what the church is doing? locked up in four walls preaching to each other and worrying about money, while the needy is lost. There MUST BE CHANGES before the rapture of the church. My prayer today is that God awake us up, so that we are ready for that great day. As it is stated in Luke 21:36;
“Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things (great tribulation) that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.”
This is what God had said about the definition of Faith. What meaning of “substance” in Heb. 11:1? it comes from the Greek word “hupostasis”, which mean :
- a setting or placing under
- thing put under, substructure, foundation
- that which has foundation, is firm
- that which has actual existence
- a substance, real being
- the substantial quality, nature, of a person or thing
- the steadfastness of mind, firmness, courage, resolution
- confidence, firm trust, assurance
What is the meaning of “evidence” in Heb. 11:1? It comes from the Greek word “elegchos”, which mean “a proof, that by which a thing is proved or tested” and “conviction”. These concepts extend the meaning of the original word, so that we can have a better understanding when we ready the Scriptures. Faith is the foundation that will bring forth the results expressed in in each of God’s promises. Going back to the passage in Mark 9:23 that says “all things are possible to him that believeth. how is this possible? The answer is given in another passage;
“For with God nothing shall be impossible.” Luke 1:37
Everything that you believe MUST be in alignment with The Word of God, God’s perfect will and God’s purpose and these three are in COMPLETE HARMONY. Let’s observe another passage that will amplifier this subject:
“But without faith it is IMPOSSIBLE to PLEASE him: for he that cometh to God MUST believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” Heb. 11:6
This is a very simple statement about our approach in the subject of faith. “Without FAITH” you can not please God, it’s the only element that God required from you to unleash anything that He had said or promise. Later in the end of this sturdy I will point out all the things that unable faith to produce results in and through us.
The following passage refers to the Creation of the WORLDS by faith, which mean “that God designed everything within every realm and planned all things according to His perfect will.”
“Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.” Heb. 11:3
How do I grow in faith? The answer is found in Rom. 10:17;
“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
Let’s breakdown the passage so you can extract the divine principle in it:
- “So then faith cometh by”: meaning, “this is the channel from which faith is pass through and the result of it is faith”.
- “by hearing”: Faith is the ultimate result of hearing, but just hearing anything, because it point out what exactly develop the hearing.
- “hearing by the word of God”. This is the main element that ultimate will bring forth faith.
If you read the passage from the end to the beginning you can extract much better the meaning of it; “The word of God have the ability to develop your spiritual hearing, more Word, more ear, more ear, more Word, this cycle will produce faith. That is why Rom. 10:17 started with the words “So then faith cometh by”.
When praying you must believe:
“And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.”
The passage doesn’t say that you will receive whatsoever you ask in prayer…it says “whatsoever shall ask…BELIEVING, ye shall RECEIVE.” having your prayers answered by God is not based on your “positive thinking” as many have suggested in books. What will bring results into your prayer life is your conviction or certainty on the Word of God. Another passage that confirmed this line of teaching is found in Mark 11:24;
“Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, BELIEVE that ye RECEIVE them, and ye shall have them.”
At the moment of prayer you must believe in the power of God that will be unleash because of your faith in God’s Word.
Even salvation is given by faith:
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Eph. 2:8-9
No surprisingly the Scripture says;
“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Cor. 5:7
“Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.” Hab. 2:4
Healing comes by faith;
“And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at HOME SICK OF THE PALSY, grievously TORMENTED. And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and HEAL him. The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: BUT SPEAK THE WORD ONLY, and my servant shall be HEALED. For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. And Jesus said unto the centurion, GO THY WAYy; and as THOU HAST BELIEVED, so be it DONE UNTO THEE. And his servant was HEALED in the selfsame hour.” Mat. 8:6-13
“Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.” Mat. 9:29
“But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs. And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs, which fall from their masters’ table. Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.” Mat. 15:26-28
“And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.” Mark 10:52
Unbelief is an obstacle for miracles;
“And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them. And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.” Mark 6:5-6
“And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.” Mat. 13:58
“Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.” Mat. 17:19-20
The Word of God is so powerful that can sanctify us;
“Sanctify THEM through thy TRUTH: thy WORD is TRUTH.” John 17:17
“For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.” 1 Tim. 4:4-5
“The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.” Psalm 12:6
As silver is purified of all impurities in a furnace under extremism temperatures, the same way the Word of the Lord is pure.
12 reference of The Word of God:
- The Word is right. Psalm 33:4
- The Word creates. Psalm 33:6
- The Word heals. Psalm 107:20
- The Word is pure. Psalm 12:6; 119:140
- The Word is Truth. Psalm 119:160
- The Word rule the climate. Psalm 147:18
- The Word is tried. Psalm 12:6; 18:30
- The Word revive. Psalm 119:25, 50, 154
- The Word is eternal. Psalm 119:89
- The Word is sweet. Psalm 119:103
- The Word is lamp to our feet. Psalm 119:105
- The Word is light. Psalm 119:130
The Word MUST be ENGRAFTED in us;
“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.” James 1:21
The Greek word used for “engrafted” is “emphutos”, which mean “implanted by nature, sprout”. Why do I engraft The Word of God in me? By becoming one with it.
The Word of The Lord Sustain all things together;
“Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by THE WORD OF HIS POWER, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high.” Heb. 1:3
“For ever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven.” Psalm 119:89
God’s power is behind God’s Word!